Updated: 17 June 2010
It is clear to those who have spiritual insight that all 'reality' is an expression of a Singularity, which I choose to call 'Source' and most others call 'God'. 1
Whether they are conscious of it in
this realm or not, all humans are awesome multi-dimensional spiritual
beings who create their experience of reality (in all realms) through the thought
processes of 'Mind'. 2
As such, all humans are entirely responsible for the circumstances they find themselves in and what 'happens' to them, whether they are conscious of this process or not.
This process operates in the Physical Universe under clearly defined universal Laws of Manifestation, (of which the laws of physics are but just an aspect), although the 'Ego' consciousness of most humans at the present 'time' is generally unaware of this process and as a consequence most humans live their lives on Earth under the mistaken belief (i.e. delusion) that what happens to them in their life is due to circumstances outside themselves and therefore beyond their control. 3
All 'reality' is a product of the 'Mind' of God. When God created Creation He did so through the auspices of extension of Himself, and not as separate beings. Being extensions of God, all of God's creations are joined together in an essential 'Oneness' with God and as such have all the same abilities of God, including the ability to create. As extensions to God, human beings have the ability to control Mind and use Mind to create.
However, according to 'A Course in Miracles;' "Into eternity, where all is one, there crept a tiny, mad idea, at which the Son of God remembered not to laugh. In his forgetting did the thought become a serious idea, and possible of both accomplishment and real effects."
Given that experience of 'reality' (sic) is a product of 'Mind', it follows that the belief system one holds about the nature or reality is extremely important if only because one's beliefs define one's experience of reality. The interesting thing about beliefs is that they are at best incomplete, but if history is anything to go by, they are almost certainly completely and utterly false.
Most humans currently live their lives in this realm around the belief systems of others, be that of their parents', peers', mentors' or society's, and because of this they unwittingly give up their ability (and responsibility) to control their experience of reality from within this realm. For this reason it is very important that each individual comes to his/her own conclusions about all matters in general and spirituality in particular, rather than blindly embracing the views of others. The more conscious a person becomes of this process, the richer their experience. It is for this reason most mystics throughout the ages have said the same thing regarding the primary task facing all Human Beings - namely that they learn to know themselves. (i.e. "Know Thyself") and through the auspices of that process eventually re-discover who they really are, namely that they are an inseparable extensions of the Whole. (i.e. That true reality is predicated upon an essential Oneness with God)
The 18th century poet and philosopher, William Blake, succinctly sums up this process perfectly with the following lines from his epic poem 'Jerusalem':
The author Robertson Davies was even more brutally honest in his book 'The Deptford Trilogy ' (p477), when he said:
What all this means is that a person should embrace ideas and beliefs that sit well with him or her at the present time, whilst keeping in mind that as awareness about reality expands with the advent of new experiences, so must one's concept of reality change accordingly. 6
For more on 'beliefs' see:
1. Quantum Physics is knocking
on the door of the concept that reality is a product of Mind
associated with the 'Observer Effect' which states "there is
no phenomena until it is observed."
For more on this subject see:
Return to article
2. Mind is the expression of the 'Creator' (i.e. God) and as such probably defies definition - it just IS. Being an expression of the Creator, it is undoubtedly infinite. By contrast 'consciousness' is a relative concept. It is 'relative' because it has a counterpoint, namely unconciousness and as such it is limited. 'Consciousness' is part and parcel of experience within the realms of perception. The realms of perception (i.e. the experiential realms) are defined by limits associated with an interplay between so called opposites such as; here versus there, up versus down, hot versus cold, positive versus negative, good versus evil etc. Neither Mind, nor consciousness, are the product of a physical brain. The physical brain is just a filter (albeit an incredibly sophisticated one) whose purpose is to limit a human's infinite potential for experience down to clearly defined parameters for the purpose of experience within the self defined limits of the Physical Universe.
From the perspective that experience within the realms of perception is the product of consciousness, it should be clear that a person's belief systems are very important because those beliefs define the limits of their experience of 'reality' (sic) within the realms of perception.
Return to article
3. Humans are awesome multi-dimensional spiritual beings who experience many realms 'simultaneously'. (NOTE: 'time' has no meaning outside the Physical Universe) The Physical Universe is but just one of the realms of perception humans choose to experience. The Physical Universe is a limited realm defined by an essential duality of apparent opposites (hot versus cold, here versus there, up versus down, good versus evil etc) and linear time. The beliefs humans hold in their minds about the limits of each duality defines those limits and through the auspices of that process creates their experience of 'reality' (sic). Thus for example, a human who believes the Earth is flat usually only perceives evidence supporting the illusion of a flat Earth and unconsciously filters out any evidence to the contrary. The Physical Universe is a realm designed specifically for the purpose of Beings to experience the illusion of being separate from SOURCE. (i.e. God) To add realism to this game of separation, the aspect of humans operating in the Physical Universe, namely the EGO SELF, is usually (but not always) deliberately structured to be unaware of its true state of Being - that being that they are an inseparable aspect of Source (i.e. extension) and as such potentially infinite. Because of this state of affairs, most humans incarnating on Earth at the present 'time' are completely unaware of the Laws of Manifestation or the fact the Physical Universe is a consensus reality involving the consentient agreement of all involved to bring it into manifestation and as a result of this ignorance, the Ego Self of most humans vehemently denies it is responsible for most things that happens in its life.
Return to article
4. Belief Systems involve all aspects of human existence, not just the doctrine and dogma pertaining to science, politics and religion.
Return to article
5. Source: William Blake Web Page
Return to article
6. There is an old saying of the Lord Buddha which illustrates the point about 'belief' quite well. One day one of his disciples came to Buddha and said "Lord, whom shall I believe? One man telleth me this and another that, and both seem sure they are right." The Lord Buddha replied: "My son, believe not that which any man saith, not even I, unless it appeals to your common sense. And even then do not believe it, but treat it as a reasonable hypothesis until such time as you can prove it for yourself." (Source: 'A Soul's Journey' by Peter Richelieu; page 1)
Return to article
Copyright © Alex Paterson 1999
MASTER INDEX of articles written, posted online or recommended by Alex Paterson
Alex PATERSON is an Australian citizen by birth. He writes articles and advises on issues pertaining to aviation, politics, sociology, the environment, sustainable farming, history, computers, natural health therapies, esoteric teachings and spirituality.
He can be contacted at:
Photograph of Alex Paterson
The document, 'Belief Systems' is the copyright © of the author, Alex Paterson. All rights reserved by the author. Notwithstanding this, the document may be reproduced and disseminated without the express permission of the author so long as reference to the author is made, no alterations are made to the document and no money is charged for it.
Additional keywords: altered states, belief, beliefs, belief systems, Bohm, consciousness, Christianity, Christian, church, cosmic game, critique, Darwin, Darwins theory, doctrine, dogma, Einstein, Erbe, esoteric, God, Gods game, Grof, holotropic, Jesus, near death experience, nazarene, NDE, newton, newtonian, observer effect, oneness, paradigm, paradox, paradoxes, philosophical materialism, physics, quantum, relativity, reality, reincarnation, religion, religion versus spirituality, Sai Baba, science, scientific procedure, spiritual, spirituality, soul, theology, universe, western science, Yeshua
RETURN TO THE BEGINNING